We did our best at recreating the chocolate trifle that we enjoyed so many years ago in our gluten and dairy-eating days. The original recipe uses a devil’s food cake mix, instant chocolate pudding, Cool Whip, and crushed Heath Bar. This recipe can be adjusted for your favorite flavors and ingredients. Feel free to double any of the ingredients to your liking. Can’t go wrong with a trifle – that’s what we love about them!
- 2 boxes of GF/DF cake mix – both can be chocolate or vanilla, or one of each!
- I container of So Delicious coconut whipped topping or other non-dairy whipped topping of your choice.
- I recipe of chocolate dairy-free pudding (can use vanilla too; pudding recipes below)
- Crushed dairy-free chocolate chips or any other dairy-free candy of your choice
- 1 cup of berries, peaches, or any fruit you like!
- Make both cake mixes and freeze, because it’s easier and neater to cut cake into cubes while it’s slightly frozen. Defrost for 15 minutes before cubing.
- Thaw non-dairy whipped topping in the refrigerator.
- Prepare non-dairy chocolate or vanilla pudding.
- If using fruit, wash and slice, if necessary.
- Cut the cakes into 1″ cubes. It’s a little easier and neater to do it while the cake is still sightly frozen.
- Line the bottom of your trifle dish or bowl generously with cake cubes.
- Pour about 3/4 cup of the pudding over the cubes.
- Top with about 3/4 cup of the whipped topping.
- Add a sprinkle of crushed candy or fruit.
- Repeat until the dish is full, and top with the whipped topping and candy or fruit.
Vegan Chocolate Pudding Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups non-dairy milk of your choice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1. In a small bowl, combine water and cornstarch. It will form a paste.
2. In a medium saucepan, combine the cornstarch mixture with the vanilla, non-dairy milk, sugar, and cocoa. Cook over medium heat until it boils, continuing to cook until it thickens.
3. Remove from heat; pudding will thicken as it cools. After about 5-7 minutes, chill in the fridge until completely cool.
Vegan Vanilla Pudding Recipe
- 2 1/2 cups non-dairy milk of your choice
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons softened vegan butter
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup of the non-dairy milk and cornstarch and set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan combine the remaining 2 cups of non-dairy milk and sugar and cook over medium heat.
3. When the mixture begins to steam, add the cornstarch mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until it just reaches a boil – about 5 mins.
4. Turn heat down to very low and continue cooking for another 5 mins or until thick, stirring occasionally.
5. Turn off heat; stir in non-dairy butter and vanilla.
6. Pour into mugs or a large bowl and refrigerate until cool.