American Flag Rice Krispie Treats Recipe – Gluten Free!
You’ll ultimately need three recipes of Rice Krispie Treats, adding red food coloring to one, blue to one, and nothing to the third, as it will be “white.” The blue recipe will be made later. To start, make one red recipe and one regular or ‘white” recipe, pressing both into separate cookie sheets. Our recipe is below.
Ingredients for one recipe of Rice Krispie Treats
6 cups GF Rice Krispies (We used Aldi’s brand)
6 tablespoons butter or butter substitute
6 cups mini-marshmallows
Food coloring, if using: 10 drops or more, added to the melted marshmallows
Cookie sheet, greased
Directions for one recipe of Rice Krispie Treats
- In a large saucepan, melt butter and marshmallows over low heat until smooth. (Don’t melt over high heat, or the Rice Krispie treats won’t stick together!)
- If using food coloring, add it now and stir.
- Add the Rice Krispies and stir until coated. Then turn onto the greased cookie sheet. Use greased hands to press them evenly, about half-way up the sides.
- Let both cool for 30 minutes.
- Cut each sheet into three, evenly measured strips.
- When completely cool, slice each pan of Rice Krispie treats into thirds.
- Layer four of the pieces, starting with red, and ending with white.
- There will be one 1/3 white piece and one 1/3 red remaining. Slice both of them in half lengthwise, and stack three of them on one side of the “flag.”
- Discard the remaining piece, or hide it in the closet for later.
- Make up the blue batch of Rice Krispie Treats. Turn it onto a third, greased cookie sheet and let it sit in a pile to cool for about 5 minutes, so that it becomes moldable.
- Grease your hands and take maybe 2/3 of the blue mixture, form it into a wide log of sorts, and place it onto the remaining section of the “flag.”Do your best to flatten the top, sides, and bottom. Use as much as you need to fill this last part of the flag completely. Let cool.
- Slice up your gluten-free flag Rice Krispie treats, and trim them around the edges, if you like.
Click here to read more of our latest news and reviews!