Gluten-Free and Vegan Chocolate Trifle
This gluten-free and vegan Trifle recipe is just as delicious as the original! We eat it year ’round, because it’s messy and a crowd pleaser.
Ingredients for gluten-free and vegan chocolate trifle
*Note – you can vary the amount of ingredients according to your taste. Some like less pudding, some like crushed cookies added in. However you like it is how you should make it – there’s no wrong way!
- 1 vegan chocolate cake recipe, baked and cut into 1.5″ cubes. We used this recipe from Broma Bakery which is amazing, but you can use any vegan recipe you want. We made the cake ahead and froze it. It’s easier to cut and assemble the trifle when the cake is frozen. (we used two recipes, as vegan cake is often less “fluffy” and our container was big.)
- 1-2 recipes of vegan chocolate pudding (see recipe below). Depends on how much pudding you like in your trifle. We used 1.5 pudding recipes because we used two cake recipes. You’ll wanna eat the pudding alone, so we suggest making two recipes for that reason.
- 1 recipe thick, vegan coconut whipped cream (see recipe below)
- Line the bottom of a large glass bowl, jar or trifle dish with the gluten-free and vegan chocolate cake squares. Just cover the bottom, as you’ll be repeating the process again to fill the jar. Make sure the cake is touching the outside of the glass for all layers. Makes for a prettier trifle!
- Drizzle the vegan chocolate pudding all over the cake squares. About 3/4 cup, but it depends on how much pudding you made – can use more!
- Spoon the vegan coconut whipped topping over the pudding, spreading it around a little.
- Add another layer of chocolate cake squares.
- Add more pudding and whipped topping and repeat the steps until the container is full. Top with store-bought vegan whipped cream, or with anything you choose.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate up to 6 hours before serving.
TIP: Add anything you want to the layers – candy, shaved chocolate, fruit, cookie crumbles….
Gluten-Free and Vegan Chocolate Pudding Recipe
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 2.5 cups vegan milk (your choice)
- In a medium saucepan, mix together the sugar, cocoa and cornstarch. Add the milk and stir.
- Heat on medium and bring to a simmer, stirring often. Simmer 3 minutes until pudding thickens and is glossy. Remove from heat and stir in the butter and vanilla.
- Pour immediately into heat-proof serving dishes or bowl. Can serve warm or refrigerate.
Vegan Whipped Cream Recipe
- 2 cups full-fat canned coconut cream, refrigerated overnight
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2.5 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2.5 tablespoons cornstarch
- In a clean and dry bowl, beat coconut cream with an electric mixer until fluffy. Scrape the sides if necessary.
- Add powdered sugar and cornstarch to bowl and mix again.
- Use immediately or store in an airtight bowl in fridge.