Gluten-Free Bread Pudding Recipe
It’s totally bread pudding season, and it’s so easy to make gluten free! Thank you to The Spruce Eats for this incredibly decadent version. Comfort dessert at it’s finest.
- 2 T brandy, bourbon or rum
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon (1/2 teaspoon for apples — 1 1/2 teaspoon for pudding)
- 2 apples peeled & cut into thick slices
- 6 slices of thick gluten-free bread cut into 1/2″ cubes
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 T vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 T butter melted
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 T non-dairy butter
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 t vanilla
- 2 Tablespoons bourbon or brandy
- Preheat oven to 325°
- Grease a 9×9 baking dish.
- Combine raisins and 2 tablespoons bourbon, brandy or rum in a small bowl. Soak for 20 minutes, then drain and reserve liquor.
- Sauté sliced apples with maple syrup and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon over medium-low heat about 8 minutes. Try to not let them get mushy! Set aside.
- Put bread cubes in a large bowl.
- Heat coconut milk and sugar over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and pour hot sugar mixture over bread cubes. Cool.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs lightly. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, vanilla, and liquor reserved from soaking raisins. Pour over bread cube mixture and fold in. You can add in the raisins as well, if you choose.
- Fold in melted butter and prepared apples and pour bread pudding mixture into buttered baking dish.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until pudding is golden brown and set.
- In a heavy saucepan melt dairy-free butter over medium-high heat.
- Add sugar, coconut milk and salt.
- Bring to a boil and immediately remove from heat.
- Stir in bourbon and vanilla.