This gluten-free, dairy-free trifle is just as delicious as the original – guaranteed. The original recipe uses a devil’s food cake mix, instant chocolate pudding, Cool Whip, and crushed Heath Bar. This one uses dairy-free alternatives, but feel free to adjust or even double any of the ingredients to your liking. Can’t go wrong with a trifle – that’s what we love about them!
- 2 boxes of GF/DF cake mix – both can be chocolate or vanilla, or one of each
- I container of So Delicious whipped topping or other non-dairy whipped topping of your choice.
- I recipe of chocolate dairy-free pudding (can use vanilla too).
- Crushed dairy-free chocolate chips or any other dairy-free candy/cookie/topping of your choice
- 1 cup of berries, cubed peaches, or any fruit you like
- Make both cake mixes and freeze, because it’s easier and neater to cut cake into cubes while it’s slightly frozen. Defrost for 15 minutes before cubing.
- Thaw non-dairy whipped topping in the refrigerator.
- Prepare non-dairy chocolate or vanilla pudding.
- If using fruit, wash and slice, if necessary.
- Cut the cakes into 1″ cubes.
- Line the bottom of your trifle dish or bowl generously with cake cubes.
- Pour about 3/4 cup of pudding over the cubes.
- Top with about 3/4 cup of whipped topping.
- Add a sprinkle of crushed candy and/or fruit.
- Repeat until the dish is full, and top with the whipped topping and candy or fruit.
Vegan Chocolate Pudding Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups non-dairy milk of your choice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1. In a small bowl, combine water and cornstarch. It will form a paste.
2. In a medium saucepan, combine the cornstarch mixture with the vanilla, non-dairy milk, sugar, and cocoa. Cook over medium heat until it boils, continuing to cook until it thickens.
3. Remove from heat; pudding will thicken as it cools. After about 5-7 minutes, chill in the fridge until completely cool.
Vegan Vanilla Pudding Recipe
- 2 1/2 cups non-dairy milk of your choice
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons softened vegan butter
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup of the non-dairy milk and cornstarch and set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan combine the remaining 2 cups of non-dairy milk and sugar and cook over medium heat.
3. When the mixture begins to steam, add the cornstarch mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until it just reaches a boil – about 5 mins.
4. Turn heat down to very low and continue cooking for another 5 mins or until thick, stirring occasionally.
5. Turn off heat; stir in non-dairy butter and vanilla.
6. Pour into mugs or a large bowl and refrigerate until cool.