Gluten-Free Popover Recipe!
The holidays are upon us, and we’re in the mood to raise our gluten-free baking game. So when we saw Jill Simms, AKA “GFfooducator” post these on Instagram, we were so intrigued. She used King Arthur Flour, the King Arthur popover recipe, and maybe a little magic, because these look incredible! According to Jill, they’re not difficult to make. Dare we?
- 1 cup King Arthur GF Multi-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups milk, warmed
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat oven to 400°. Grease 12-cup popover pan or muffin pan.
- In a blender, combine eggs, butter, and milk on medium speed until mixture is uniform. In a bowl, whisk the flour with the xanthan gum and salt. Add the dry ingredients into the blender and mix on medium/high until batter is smooth. A few tiny lumps are alright, but if there are more than that, continue blending.
- If you don’t have a blender, whisk together the eggs, butter, and milk in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk the flour or flour blend with the xanthan gum and salt, then gradually sift and whisk into the liquid ingredients until you have a smooth batter. If, despite your best efforts, there are more than a few tiny lumps, strain them out of your batter with a sieve.
- Pour the batter into the pan, filling cups about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 25 minutes, then reduce heat to 350° and bake for additional 15 minutes, until the popovers are deep brown.
- Remove from oven, prick the side of each popover with a sharp knife to release the steam, and let them rest for 5 minutes to finish setting. Remove from the pan and serve immediately. To keep the popovers crisp longer, turn off the oven and let them sit in it for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
- Yield: 12 standard (muffin-sized) popovers.