Our Gluten-Free Stuffing Recipe and other Local Thanksgiving Tips!
Don’t know about you, but we went for years without stuffing at Thanksgiving, and it was miserable. We’ve since discovered that not only can we make it ourselves, but there are gluten-free stuffing mixes that taste just as good! See below for our current favorite recipe, adapted from King Arthur Flour.
8 cups gluten-free bread, cubed. (Let the bread sit out overnight or toast it first for best results.)
1/2 cup butter
3 cups minced onions
1 cup minced celery
1-2 teaspoons poultry seasoning, depending on how you like it
2 teaspoons salt
2 T dried parsley
pepper to taste
3 large eggs
2 cups broth – any kind – vegetable, chicken, beef etc.
1. Preheat oven to 350 and lightly grease a 2qt. casserole dish.
2. Place the cubed bread into a large bowl.
3. Melt butter in a large pan and sauté the celery and onions until soft. About 15-20 minutes. Then remove from heat.
4. Pour the onion and celery mixture over the bread and toss to coat.
5. Add the salt, parsley, poultry seasoning and pepper and toss again.
6. Mix the broth and eggs together and stir them into the bread mixture.
7. Pour the bread mixture into the greased pan, cover with foil, and bake for about an hour, ensuring that all of the liquid bakes in. For a crusty top, remove the foil about 45 minutes into baking.
Don’t Feel Like Making It Yourself?
If you prefer an easier and just as delicious path to Thanksgiving, you absolutely must use Aleia’s stuffing mix. Not only is Aleia’s based right here in Connecticut, this stuffing tastes just like homemade! (Their other products are excellent as well!)
If you just want to enjoy Thanksgiving without the hassle, you’ll find many restaurants and caterers offering gluten-free Thankgiving menus to go. Here are just a few of our favorites. There are countless more places that offer GF menus – just give them a call!
Christie’s Catering – Caterer and Food Truck based in Litchfield County, serving Fairfield County, Litchfield County, Hartford County and beyond. Call for pricing. William A. Christie & Laura S. Christie Christie Caters, LLC 203-570-6781
MANGO ZUCCHINI CRAB CAKES GF
MOCK “CRAB” CHICK PEA CAKES GF, V SCALLION LIME DIP
SPICED APPLE & BRIE BEGGARS PURSE LINGONBERRY DIPPING SAUCE
HERB AND GARLIC STUFFED MUSHROOMS (V)
SAUSAGE AND SMOKED CHEDDAR PUFFS HONEY MUSTARD
BRIE IN PUFF PASTRY, RASPBERRY JAM CRACKERS, FRENCH BREAD (Not GF)
HOT ARTICHOKE OR SPINACH DIP, SPINACH SPANIKOPITA(not GF)
BUFFALO CAULIFLOWER V, GF VEGAN CAESAR DIP
PUMPKIN BREAD (V) (GF) ZUCCHINI BREAD (V) (GF) CORN BREAD V, GF
APPLE PUMPKIN SOUP (V) GF VEGETABLE MINESTRONE (V) GF CARROT PEAR AND GINGER SOUP (V)GF
FALL SALAD OF BABY MIXED GREENS, MACHE & BIBB LETTUCE TOASTED PUMPKIN SEEDS, SLICED FRESH PEARS, SUN DRIEDCRANBERRIES, CRUMBLED GOAT CHEESE, TOASTED GARLIC HERB CRUOTONS, CRANBERRY APPLE VINAGRETTE – GF, VEGAN WITHOUT CHEESE
ROMAINE CAESAR SALAD , GARLIC CROUTONS (V)GF SUN DRIED CHERRIES, CREAMY CEASAR DRESSING
KALE VEGAN CAESAR SALAD TOASTED SPICED CHICKPEAS V, GF
ROAST MAPLE GLAZED TURKEY BREAST, OLD FASHION GRAVY GF
CAN SUBSTITUTE GF BREAD FOR ANY STUFFING BELOW
CORNBREAD APPLE , SAGE STUFFING (V) BASIL SPINACH SAUSAGE STUFFING
TRADITIONAL HERB BREAD STUFFING (V) **
SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE GF
POTATOES ANNA GF
CREAMY MASHED POTATO GF (Can be done vegan)
STEAMED BABY FRENCH BEANS & BABY GLAZED CARROTS BROCOLI & PEPPERS (V) GF
CREAMED SPINACH GF
ORANGE CRANBERRY WILD RICE PILAF (V) GF
ROAST MAPLE RUM GLAZED ROOT VEGETABLES (V) GF
PENNE PASTA (CAN BE GF) WITH CREAMY SUNDRIED TOMATO VODKA SAUCE
NO PASTA LASAGNA V, GF
ZUCHINNI , BUTTERNUT SQUASH, CAULIFLOWER RICOTTA GARLIC BASIL MARINARA
LENTIL PIE WITH GARLIC KALE MASHE POTATO & CELERY ROOT TOPPING V,GF
CRANBERRY RELISH V, GF
APPLE SAUCE (V) GF
GINGER SNAP COOKIES
VEGAN & GF DESSERT
WITH CINNAMON COCONUT CREAM
PUMPKIN & COCONUT CHEESE CAKE
APPLE PEAR CRISP
731 Hopmeadow St.
Simsbury, CT 06070
Thanksgiving To Go – The entire menu below is available gluten free! (They’ll never know you didn’t spend all day in the kitchen!)
Butternut Squash & Cider Soup
Metro Whipped Potatoes
Cranberry & Sausage Stuffing
Roasted Carrots & Turnips
Roasted Green Beans with Garlic
10.50 per quart
Gravy 5.95 per pint / 11.95 per quart
Pumpkin Pie 25.00
Apple Pie 25.00
Pecan Pie 25.00
Cooked Turkey 8.95 per person
Raw, Seasoned, Ready-to-cook Turkey
10-12 pounds 36.00
14-16 pounds 44.00
18-20 pounds 52.00
22-24 pounds 58.00
Butternut squash and cider soup, whipped potatoes, cranberry sausage stuffing,
Roasted carrots and turnips, baby greens with balsamic vinaigrette, broccoli casserole,
Roasted green beans with garlic, turkey gravy, and pumpkin pie
15.75 per person
All Thanksgiving items may be picked up between 1:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m.
on Wednesday, the 22nd at Metro Bis and are easily heated or cooked at home.
Please place your order by calling Metro To Go at 860.651.7417 by the end of the day on November 17th and enjoy your effortless holiday.
- Garelick & Herbs, sides, desserts, and more, with locations in Southport, New Canaan, Greenwich and Westport (not dedicated GF)
- By The Way Bakery in Greenwich – they have GF and dairy-free cheesecake! (dedicated GF and dairy free)
- Izzi B’s Allergen-Free Bakery in Norwalk – allergen free AND they ship anywhere! (dedicated top 8 allergen free)
- Still Delicious GF Bakery in Westbrook – get their amazing chocolate chip cookie lava cakes(wow)! (dedicated GF)
- Pure Love Bakery in Simsbury – dinner rolls, breads, cakes, pies and more! (dedicated GF)
- The Sweet Beet – Granby – 100% vegan and GF (dedicated GF and dairy free)
- Hartford Baking Company ,West Hartford Center and New Park Ave – they make a gluten-free chocolate almond cake now! (not dedicated GF)
- Heirloom Food, Danielson – they have a HUGE dessert menu that is GF, Vegan, and organic. They also do raw desserts, and they can accommodate GF for nearly their entire catering menu.
Need more ideas? Check out our directory here!
Got questions or need suggestions?Please contact Abby and she’ll do her best! email@example.com