Make Gluten-free Pop Tarts WitH Pie Crusts!
This recipe for gluten-free pop tarts is so easy, because you can use store- bought crusts!
We made these pop tarts using both Gillian’s pie crust, which is egg-free, and Maine Pie Company Pie Crust, which contains egg. However, you can also make them using your own homemade pie crust, which can be vegan!
- 2 GF pie crusts (purchased or homemade)
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 egg, beaten (can leave this out or use milk/non-dairy milk instead)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 teaspoons milk or non-dairy milk
- 1/2 cup jam, your choice
- Sprinkles or frosting
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a baking sheet or line with parchment paper.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine jam with the cornstarch. (it needs to be thickened for this recipe!)
- Remove the crusts from the packaging and lay them flat. Shape them into two rectangles. It might get crumbly, but keep squishing and rolling with a rolling pin. Add GF flour if necessary. Slice each rectangle lengthwise into 3 long strips each. The egg-free crusts will be more crumbly and harder to handle, but it will work!
- Place a heaping tablespoon of jam onto the bottom of all 6 rectangles. Leave about 1/2″ space around the edges. Brush the edges around the jam with the beaten egg.
- Fold each rectangle in half and use a fork to seal the seams. If any of the dough breaks or cracks, just pinch it to seal. Place each pop tart onto the baking sheet.
- Using a fork, poke holes in the top of each pop tart to release steam. Brush with egg wash or milk, or non-dairy milk.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely.
- Make frosting by mixing the milk and powdered sugar. Add more milk if too thick. Use a piping bag or drizzle the frosting onto the pop tarts and add sprinkles if desired.