Organic Coconut Oil – One of our favorite things!
Did you know that coconut oil is made up of healthy saturated fats, and is one of the most versatile foods? In fact, the coconut tree is considered the Tree of Life in many Asian and tropical countries. At room temperature it’s solid, but melts quickly when scooped into your hand. There are literally hundreds of uses, but here is a list of our favorites. We are partial to Trader Joe’s Organic Coconut Oil, as we think it imparts the best flavor, and it’s reasonably priced. Yum.
- Skin moisturizer – it absorbs quickly and does’t leave your skin greasy
- Popcorn! Just use it in place of any other oil, and you will never go back to the microwave!
- Cooking – coconut oil has a very high smoke point, and is great for frying or sauteing.
- Replace your non-stick cooking spray with it.
- Magic shell – In 30 second microwave increments, melt 2 cups of chopped chocolate with 1/4 cup coconut oil. Pour it over your ice cream and enjoy!
- Bake with it. Just use it cup-for-cup to add some flavor and healthy fats to your treats.
- Make your eggs last longer – brush some coconut oil over the shells to keep oxygen from entering the eggs, extending egg life by 1-2 weeks.
- Make up remover – if you dab a little coconut oil to remove it from your skin, you’ll be moisturizing at the same time!
- Make your own lip balm! Mix 2T coconut oil with 2T beeswax and 1T shea butter in a nonstick pan. Warm slowlyuntil melted, and then pour it into containers. Cool before using.
- Massage oil – ahhhh.
- Hair conditioner/detangler – just spoon it out, and work it through!
- Eczema – use directly on skin, or mix with shea butter for best results.