Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins with Cinnamon Crumble
Thanks Karen at Healthy Gluten-Free Family for this recipe, adapted from one that’s been in her family for years. Karen did a great presentation/demo at our Connecticut expo, and we hope she’ll come back to do more! Meantime, be sure to follow her on Instagram at @healthygffamily and on Facebook at Healthy Gluten-Free Family.
1/2 cup butter, softened (dairy free works too – I used Earth Balance)
1 3/4 cups plus 1 Tablespoon brown sugar, packed
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups GF flour (I used GF Jules All Purpose)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sour milk (add one tablespoon apple cider vinegar to a liquid measuring cup and then fill to the 1 cup line with dairy or dairy-free milk. Wait 10 minutes.)
1 1/2 cups raw rhubarb, cut into 1/4″ and 1/2″ pieces
1/2 cup fresh strawberries cut into 1/4″ and 1/2″ pieces
Cinnamon Sugar Crumble Ingredients:
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin tins with paper liners
- Cream butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer or by hand in a medium bowl.
- Add eggs & vanilla and beat again.
- Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add flour mixture alternately with the sour milk until well blended.
- Stir in rhubarb and strawberry.
- Distribute evenly into muffin tins, ensuring that all sides of each tin is covered.
- Top with the cinnamon sugar crumble.
- Bake for 35 minutes, checking at 30 minutes. If the crumble is done, cover the muffins with foil for the remaining few minutes.