Is Your Sushi Safe?
Is Your Sushi Safe? That Depends….
One of the most common questions we’re asked is about sushi. It also has one of the most complicated answers! Of course, rice, fish and seaweed are inherently gluten free. But that doesn’t mean that all sushi is safe. Here is a list of things to keep in mind when ordering:
- Surimi, or imitation crab meat contains wheat, as do many of the added sauces and condiments.
- Avoid any sushi made with tempura meats, as they are deep fried using a wheat coating, unless you’re one of the lucky few to find a place that uses rice coating in a dedicated fryer!
- Teriyaki contains soy sauce, as does Ponzu. Eel sauce can be gluten free, but restaurants usually make it themselves, and may add additional ingredients.
- Most Japanese restaurants now offer gluten-free soy sauce. You can always bring your own, just to be safe.
- Some popular rolls are made using marinated fish(eel, salmon tuna), and the marinade probably contains soy sauce.
- Sushi rice is seasoned with sushi vinegar, which is most often derived from rice. However, if you react to grain-derived vinegars, always confirm before you order that only rice-derived vinegar is used.
- Many restaurants have replaced wasabi with a mixture of horseradish, mustard, food coloring and other ingredients. So always ask before you eat or bring your own!
- The chef may use the same prep area and mat to make sushi with wheat-containing ingredients.
Going out for sushi doesn’t have to be risky. Be sure to call the restaurant first to explore their comfort level with gluten-free and celiac customers, and stick to the basics. Then, if you order clearly and carefully and sit at the sushi bar, you can watch your meal being made and eat with confidence!
Here are some recommended restaurants serving gluten-free sushi in Connecticut. Stay tuned for additional establishments all around New England.
*Remember – we cannot guarantee the safety of any of these establishments. Always use your own judgement when eating out.
Ginza Japanese Cuisine Bloomfield
14 Wintonbury Mall
Bloomfield, CT 06002
Ginza Japanese Cuisine Wethersfield
1295 Silas Deane Highway
Wethersfield, CT 06109
Oishi Sushi & Izakaya
124 Washington St.
S. Norwalk, CT 06854
Red Lotus Shelton
872 Bridgeport Ave.
Shelton, CT 06484
25 Ella Grasso Tpke.
Windsor Locks, CT 06096
Red Lantern at Foxwoods
350 Trolley Line Blvd.
Mashanpequot, CT 06338
680 Post Rd.
Westport, CT 06480
(gluten free sushi Connecticut)