Easy Gluten-Free Potato Latkes – On Your Waffle Iron!
If you don’t have one, we love this Chefman Belgian Waffle Iron. (NOT an affiliate link.)
- 2 1/2 lbs potatoes (russet works best)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1.5 teaspoons salt, more if preferred
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Nonstick cooking oil
- Shred the potatoes using a hand grater or food processor.
- Place the shredded potatoes in a large bowl and fill with cold water. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes into a colander; rinse & dry the bowl for later.
- Place the drained shreds onto the center of a clean and dry dish towel, with the minced onion on top.
- Squeeze to remove excess liquid.
- Turn the potato shreds into the large bowl.
- Preheat waffle iron to medium.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs with the salt and pepper and add to the potato.
- Using a spoon or clean hands, mix thoroughly.
- For a double waffle iron, scoop the mixture into a 3/4 cup measure, and gently press out excess liquid.
- Dump the pressed potato mixture onto one side of the waffle iron, and repeat for the other side.
- Gently spread the mixture into round shapes. It will not reach the edges.
- Close the waffle iron and cook for 6-9 minutes, depending on your iron.
- When done, use a fork to remove the latke from the iron. Repeat with the rest of the mixture.
- Not crispy enough? Toss them under the broiler for a few minutes and enjoy!