The best gluten-free graham cracker recipe
- 2 cups gluten-free flour (We like Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 teaspoon xanthin gum ( only if your flour blend doesn’t already contain it)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 6 tablespoons butter melted and cooled or oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg or egg substitute
- 2-4 tablespoons milk or non-dairy alternative
- Preheat oven to 325. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, granulated sugar and salt in a large bowl.
- Add brown sugar and whisk again.
- Make a well in the center of the dry mixture and add the oil or melted butter, honey, molasses, vanilla, egg, and 2 tablespoons of the milk or milk alternative. Mix well after each addition.
- Knead the mixture with your hands, adding milk as necessary to help it become “dough.”
- Sprinkle some flour on a piece of parchment paper, and turn the dough out onto it.
- Roll out the dough, adding flour as necessary, to 1/4″ thick.
- Cut into 2″x4″ rectangles, or whatever size you like, and place them 1″ apart on baking sheets. Use up all the dough.
- Bake each sheet one at a time, or use two ovens, if you have them. Bake until they’re golden brown and firm, about 15 minutes.
- The graham crackers will stay fresh for up to a week, or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Sprinkle the graham crackers with cinnamon and sugar before baking
- Crush and use for pie crust