This Gluten-Free and Vegan Sweet Potato Chili Recipe is one of our family favorites!
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato peeled and cut into 1/2″ cubes. (We add more sweet potato because we love it!)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (we use avocado)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional – depends on how hot you like it!)
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 28 oz. can dices tomatoes with juice
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz. can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil. Add the chopped onion, peppers, and sweet potatoes and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions turn translucent.
- Reduce heat to low. Add garlic, spices, cocoa powder, and a dash of salt and pepper. Then add tomatoes with juice, beans, and broth. Bring the mixture to a simmer. Cover and cook for about an hour, keeping it at a gentle simmer.
- Serve with whatever toppings you like – vegan or not, depending on your leaning. Oh, and it’s even better the second day!