This filling for these mini gluten-free pumpkin pies is dairy free, as is the whipped topping. The crust can be made dairy free as well. And, you can use mini muffin pans, or cupcake pans, for larger servings!
- 1 15oz can pumpkin puree or 2 cups fresh pumpkin, pureed (not pumpkin pie filling!)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup coconut milk (full fat) *don’t worry, there’s no coconut taste in the final product!
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (can spice it any way you like!)
- Reddi-Whip Almond Milk whipped topping
- 1 1/4 cups GF flour with xanthan gum (we use Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or vegan butter sticks chilled and cut into 1″ pieces
- 1/4 cup ice water
Make the crust:
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the 1 1/4 cups GF flour, salt, sugar, and 1/2 cup butter or vegan butter pieces. Using a fork or pastry blender, combine until mixture resembles course crumbs.
- Add 1/4 cup ice water and mix, ultimately using your hands to form a ball.
- Roll half the ball at a time between two sheets of waxed paper, until dough is about 1/4 inch thick.
- Using a glass or round cookie cutter, cut dough into roughly 2″ circles, carefully fitting them into un-greased mini muffin cups. If the dough breaks, just add a little more to gently cover the hole. Set in fridge or freezer while preparing the filling.
Make the Filling & Pies
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Combine all filling ingredients in a large bowl and mix super well.
- Remove dough cups from freezer or fridge, and fill each to the top with pumpkin filling.
- Bake at 425 for about 7 minutes, and then turn the heat down to 350. Bake for another 15 minutes or so, until the filling doesn’t jiggle when moved and a knife moves cleanly through the top portion of the custard. (The filling continues to cook after it’s removed from the oven.)
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Then carefully remove the cups to a cooling rack. Store in the fridge and top with non-dairy whipped cream before serving.